Hardware Repair Technician
ID: 7180908 (Ref.No. BSU39416)
Posted: September 20, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specialize in multiple lines of computer and printer hardware; serve as the support expert and make recommendations for purchasing new components, parts, or software (i.e. Apple, Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.); attend specialized training and receive certifications as necessary from the vendor to maintain an up-to-date expertise level; maintain knowledge of and regularly reference vendor documentation and utilize vendor contact online, via phone, and/or in one-on-one information sessions.
- Maintain a high-quality level of customer service standards in dealing with and responding to questions in person, via telephone, and e-mail from university clients and vendors; includes customer contact electronically or by phone to discuss specific symptoms of equipment, repair timelines, cost, possible solutions, recommendations, and personal contact with customers at their location on campus to deliver, repair, or pick up equipment.
- Identify, evaluate, research, and resolve hardware and associated software communication problems on university owned computer systems; includes perform preventative maintenance, virus troubleshooting, tracking and general security; requires physical diagnosis of equipment; dismantle computer and printer units; test components; communicate with clients on the specifics of perceived problems, error, warranties, etc.; utilize various tools and industry standard testing devices and methods.
- Install PCs, related hardware, and printers; perform complex hardware system repairs, communication, and network connection repairs, and address maintenance on a wide range of PC-based computers and hardware peripherals - Windows compatible and MAC; requires knowledge of equipment and service updates, repair practices, policies, and technical specifications of microcomputer hardware; perform preventative maintenance on PCs to ensure systems are performing at an optimum level; assist in some server maintenance and support.
- Review, prioritize, and process problem reports; document progress of projects; meet regularly with the Manager of Hardware Repair Services to coordinate technical repair strategies, report progress, and discuss current hardware repair trends; complete internal and university-required documentation related to services, job tickets, outstanding part orders, customer billing, inventory maintenance, and repair history recording; maintain up-to-date status reports of outstanding repairs and completed projects or tickets; includes submit weekly reports and/or as requested for clarification or justification of delays, cost, or performance.
- Evaluate existing computer system hardware; perform system upgrades based on customer needs; customize and test computer systems; resolve configuration conflicts and errors; requires knowledge of various systems and the ability to thoroughly examine components and identify resources and solutions; involves contacting vendors for technical support and parts procurement both electronically and by phone.
- Organize and manage multiple technical priorities; process problem reports; perform a diverse variety of work assignments and projects related to hardware maintenance; includes assisting the Manager of Hardware Repair Services with planning, forecasting equipment and supply needs, and improving work arrangements.
- Train and supervise hardware repair student employees; provide one-on-one specialized training on hardware practices, troubleshooting, university guidelines, supported products, vendor policies, work area organization, installations, testing equipment, documentation, inventory maintenance, and client contact; handle discipline, scheduling, and job or task assignment which includes check student work, verify methods employed for repairs and re-train if necessary.
- Train and support TechTime student employees on current hardware diagnostic procedures and help increase their hardware knowledge and skills through direct teaching and modeling; assist with minor computer upgrades and the removal of hard drives when a data backup is needed; serve in a supervisory capacity as assigned by the Manager of the Hardware Repair Services; includes assisting with Technology Store consultations when needed.
- Assist in evaluating and implementing new hardware systems; advise Manager of Hardware Repair Services on hardware repair alternatives and solutions; communicate with vendors concerning recommended repairs, warranty tracking, and upgrades; includes consulting and collaborating with internal units on hardware system issues; make recommendations and implement new solutions for improving service and operations.
- Research, analyze, and recommend appropriate computer hardware for customized computer configurations; recommend equipment purchases and maintain parts inventory closet; includes organize, maintain and log order sheets; dispose of outdated or defective equipment; configure items of equipment according to instructions; requires regular client and vendor contacts as needed to discuss system uses, cost, and challenges.
- Install, integrate, and configure new computer systems and hardware for university-owned computer systems; interact with unit administrators, departments, and university delegated and third-party vendors about new and existing systems and programs supported by the university for repair, installation, or informational purposes.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.