Chair and Full/Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
Posted: September 19, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The School of Engineering at the University of Mississippi is seeking an experienced educator, researcher, and administrator for the position of Chair of Chemical Engineering. The faculty appointment will be at a rank commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Department of Chemical Engineering
The Department of Chemical Engineering has been continuously accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, or its antecedents, since 1954.. The Department offers a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering and a Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Science with an emphasis in chemical engineering. The Department had 84 undergraduate and 12 graduate students in Spring 2023 and graduated 15 undergraduate students in May 2023.
The Department has six tenured/tenure-track faculty, one full-time Instructional Associate Professor, and one full-time Professor of Practice shared with the Center for Manufacturing Excellence. The faculty engage in diverse research areas, including materials, energy, and biotechnology.
The goals of the Department of Chemical Engineering are to:
• Ensure an environment conducive to learning, teaching, and research;
• Provide a top-quality ABET-accredited undergraduate program suitable for the 21st century;
• Foster a vibrant graduate program and perform quality research in line with national trends and achieve national recognition;
• Establish strong partnerships and lasting relationships with industry, government, professional societies, alumni, and academia; and
• Make significant contributions to the technological and economic development of the State of Mississippi and the region through education, research, and service.
School of Engineering
The School of Engineering at the University of Mississippi was established in 1900, making it the oldest engineering school in Mississippi. Over the decades, the school has grown to ten undergraduate programs, both master’s and doctoral degrees, a diverse faculty and student body, and alumni excelling in public and private fields. The school has an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 1,100 students and a graduate enrollment of 150. There are around 70 faculty members in seven departments
Applicants should submit the following documents: a letter describing the qualifications listed in the Position Description section above, a full curriculum vitae, a vision for the department, a diversity and inclusion statement, a research statement, a teaching statement, and names/contact information of at least five references. Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Appointment (12 Month)
Assignment Type (Tenure Track)
Candidates must have:
• a doctoral degree in Chemical Engineering or a closely related discipline and a record of scholarly and professional accomplishment to qualify for appointment at the rank of associate or full professor with tenure;
• a strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching excellence;
• a history of securing competitive, extramural research funding;
• a successful track record of mentoring graduate students;
• record of collaboration with a wide range of constituents (faculty, staff, students; industry and government officials; and private, state, and federal sponsors);
• history of supervising, mentoring, and empowering faculty and staff;
• excellent listening, decision-making, and consensus-building skills; and
• an ability to develop a shared vision for the department through open communication and transparency.