Network Architect IT Network Services
Posted: September 19, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Information Technology and Computing Services (ITCS) is the central agency that supports enterprise-wide computing at East Carolina University. ITCS, through innovative information technology initiatives and service, provides opportunities for the ECU community to excel in teaching, research, and service using state-of-the-market technology and collaborative environments. ITCS is first and foremost committed to providing excellent information technology support for faculty, staff, and students. ITCS partners with campus departments, other universities, and industry to make strategic investments in information technology infrastructure that will help maintain a competitive advantage in administrative applications, faculty research, and outreach to the state and nation. We will achieve this through increasing the core functions and deploying appropriate technology throughout the university.
Networking Services is composed of various primary support areas including: Network Engineering, Network Infrastructure, Network Security and Analysis, and Unified Communications; Voice and Collaboration services.
We are currently seeking an exceptional candidate to be part of the ITCS Network Services Team. This position is an IT Network Architect that will work with IT staff, IT Management, and key personnel from other departments to identify, develop, implement, and support cost-effective solutions. This position plays a key role in supporting the information technology systems that are core to the infrastructure. Responsibilities include design, installation, implementation and administration of complex on-prim, hybrid, and cloud networks. Responsible for compliance with established network standards and best practices. Consults with other groups, end users, and management to assist in troubleshooting of network issues and application problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Design, implement, maintain, and document highly complex LAN, WAN, hybrid, and cloud network solutions
• Develop and maintain comprehensive network design and implementation plans
• Assess customer and business requirements, delivering consultations and networking solutions while implementing configurations in accordance with best practices and security policies
• Manage high impact, complex projects requiring detail orientated leadership
• New technology exploration and recommendations
• Troubleshoot highly complex network related issues
• Providing technical mentoring and leadership to other ECU Staff
• Develop project budgets and utilization of project management software and methodologies is required to manage projects
• Knowledge expansion will be available through training and education opportunities and by working with other ITCS members.
• Collaborate with ECU teams to develop technical recommendation and configurations for network technologies
• Plan, implement, test and document disaster recovery and business continuity processes
• Other duties as directed
The standard work schedule for this position will need to be adjusted to meet the position requirements, which include and are not limited to evening and weekend hours to perform scheduled and unscheduled workload requirements to maintain University operations.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Dense knowledge and experience with Cisco routing, switching, wireless, firewall, VOIP, and NAC technologies
Significant hands-on experience in designing, deploying and supporting large enterprise networks (LAN, WAN, data center, hybrid, cloud networks)
Experience in leading complex IT projects.
Experience with data networking at scale in large data network environments
Experience with Network Automation, Network Function Virtualization, and Software Defined Networks.
Knowledge of python 3 is a plus
Assessing security practices and providing recommendations
Maintaining budgets and managing time constraints
Creating detailed reports, diagrams, system documentation, white papers, solution briefs, etc.
Ability to work well in a team environment
Experience in managing vendor relationships
Cisco CCNA, CCNP or other related networking certifications a plus completed within the last 5 years
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. Candidates must also submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.