Biological Scientist I
Posted: June 7, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Using a general molecular biology background and independent decision making to perform experiments proficiently, as needed. Including, but not limited to, experimental sample preparation using various extraction techniques on various types of tissues and sample types (such as frozen and formalin/ethanol preserved tissues), cDNA synthesis, PCR, gel electrophoresis, quantitative PCR, Sanger sequencing sample preparation/submission, DNA and RNA library preparation for sequencing on Illumina platforms, organization, assisting in ordering, experimental design, modifying, planning, and conducting research experiments in accordance with EHS safety standards
• Accurately measuring and making laboratory solutions as needed
• Responsible for maintenance of standard operating procedures, general laboratory cleanliness, and maintenance of laboratory instruments in compliance with laboratory inspections
• Nucleic acid extractions (such as DNA and RNA extractions), cDNA synthesis, gel electrophoresis, PCR, quantitative real-time PCR, library preparation, quantification, and sequencing
• Assisting in the management of laboratory databases and updating protocols, as needed
• Organization and analysis of data for presentations and write-ups of experiments using such tools as Excel, SnapGene, and AliView for primer design, alignments, and generation of consensus sequences
Starting salary is between $16.76 - $17.24 per hour
Bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related life science field.
Three years of technical experience in a laboratory setting, ability to follow instructions and ability to work with others.
Experience with next generation sequencing techniques (sample preparation, library preparation, running samples on Illumina platforms) are essential requisites for this position.
Positive attitude to work with a track record of working well with other lab members and performing all work in a safe manner in accordance with EHS guidelines.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This is a time limited position.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.