Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
ID: 7127532 (Ref.No. hlj_43727)
Posted: March 8, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, is seeking an inaugural Assistant Center Director of Research Informatics to provide informatics leadership for all research activities at the Cancer Center. This new leader will serve as a bridge between the Moffitt Research Institute (MRI) and the Center of Digital Health, aligning institutional data platforms and strategies and with the data-related research Shared Resources, overseeing research related aspects of data sharing partnerships with external organizations, and providing informatics support for cross-departmental research initiatives.
Moffitt Cancer Center is characterized by a culture of collegiality and team science, facilitating cross-disciplinary collaborations for cancer research and translation of discoveries to the point of care. The Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics will be a critical member of the enterprise-wide leadership team focused on these translational activities for the improvement of cancer patient outcomes.
The Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics will promote the adoption and innovative use of technology platforms within the data-related research Shared Resources and promote the scaling of research-driven innovations across the enterprise through collaborations with the Center of Digital Health. The Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics will drive strategy for making external data sets available to researchers, including leveraging external data sharing partnerships and sponsored research agreements through the Office of Innovation and Industry Alliances. The Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics will coordinate cross-departmental informatics support for the Total Cancer Care institutional biobanking protocol and contribute to informatics strategy for the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN). The Assistant Center Director, Research Informatics will help implement the Quantitative Science Division-wide initiatives, under the direction of the Associate Center Director, Data Science.
Local Resources Include:
- An academic division dedicated to the advancement of faculty in quantitative sciences, including departments of biostatistics and bioinformatics, mathematical oncology and machine learning.
- Clinical and scientific expertise across a spectrum of oncology-related disciplines including immuno-oncology, cancer epidemiology, drug discovery, health outcomes and behavior, cancer biology and evolution, and precision medicine.
- A cloud-based analytics platform and data warehouse including clinical, genomic, patient-reported and imaging data on more than 500,000 patients.
- An institutional biobank with over 130,000 consented patients.
- Shared resources including Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Collaborative Data Services and Quantitative Imaging.
Ideal Candidates Should Have:
- PhD in informatics, bioinformatics, computer science or related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing novel informatics tools for research.
- Experience conducting research and publishing in the field of research informatics.
- Experience leading and managing large informatics projects.
- Experience championing significant enterprise-wide projects with leadership.
- Experience leading or collaborating as a co-investigator on NIH grants.
- Experience with large organizational governance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Meticulous organizational skills.
- Consensus-building leadership style; ability to lead through influence and by example.
Moffitt is affiliated with University of South Florida and a University appointment is encouraged.
Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city that provides its residents a high quality of life. The Tampa Bay area (https://www.visittampabay.com/) has become a hub for ground-breaking research, welcoming individuals from around the globe. This diverse city is engulfed with rich culture, year-round activities for all, beautiful beaches, amazing cuisine, and so much more.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to: Dana E. Rollison, PhD, Vice President, Chief Data Officer and Associate Center Director, Data Science ([email protected]).
Please do attach a cover letter and CV. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Start date is flexible.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.