Research Technician III
Baylor College of Medicine
ID: 7122139 (Ref.No. 14534-en_US)
Posted: January 26, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Alkek Center for Metagenomics and Microbiome Research (CMMR) at Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) is seeking Research Technician with a molecular biology background to work in a production environment processing samples for metagenomics and microbiome research. The technician position is in a CAP/CLIA accredited laboratory and will support projects containing a diverse array of sample types from collaborators around the world.
- Samples intake that includes data entry and manifest reconciliation.
- Performs both automated and manual nucleic acid extractions.
- Performs various PCR assays.
- Performs nucleic acid quantification that includes multiple fluorometric assays and gel electrophoresis.
- Performs nucleic acid normalization and pooling in preparation for DNA sequencing.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and common spaces.
- Assists in the preparation of laboratory reports.
- Orders laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Compliances with CAP/CLIA regulatory requirements.
- Selects, evaluates, and applies techniques used in routine research projects.
- Collects, compiles and analyzes data.
- Documents results of experiments.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Experience with basic molecular biology techniques (pipet usage, nucleic acid extraction, PCR, etc..) is desirable.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.