Laboratory Technician II - Clinical Microbiology
Iowa City, IA
Posted: November 11, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe Department of Pathology is seeking a Laboratory Technician II to perform a variety of laboratory tasks related to specimen processing, supply distribution, computer/clerical duties, and routine laboratory maintenance. Provides functional supervision to laboratory assistants. This position is 100%-time, 1st shift, 0800-1630, Monday - Friday with rotating holidays.
Duties to include:
• Admits Microbiology specimens to laboratory for processing and microbiological analysis.
• Processes specimens for microbiologic analysis.
• Responds to incoming telephone calls.
• Monitors and maintains weekly media inventory
• Processes hazardous biological waste material for disposal.
• Performs cleaning and maintenance of laboratory admitting area and laboratory equipment therein.
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact listed below.
The Department of Pathology is part of UI Health Care, a comprehensive health sciences center that serves Iowa and the region, as well as patients referred from the United States and overseas. The Clinical Laboratories are well recognized for providing outstanding and comprehensive care to the patients we serve. The breadth and depth of services provided are amongst the best in the country. The educational programs that the department participates in includes medical students, clinical laboratory scientists as well as biomedical scientists. To learn more: https://medicine.uiowa.edu/pathology/about-us.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
• Two years of related laboratory experience including one year as a Laboratory Technician I or equivalent level experience, or
• Certified Laboratory Assistant (CLA) certification, or
• Any combination of related post high school education and experience which totals two years.
• Experience handling patient specimens is desirable.
• Experience processing and plating specimens for micro testing is desirable.
Position and Application details:
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a “Relevant File” to the submission:
• Cover Letter
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Brenda Carey via email at [email protected]