Research Assistant III - Animal Care
Posted: July 29, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout us:
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver who wants to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to creating and commercializing novel approaches to global challenges in health care and sustainability. You want the freedom to explore, to push the boundaries of what is possible, and to use your ambition to tackle challenging projects in a fast-paced, industry-focused environment without a lot of administrative hurdles. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people and leveraging your expertise to create innovations that can change the world.
About the role:
We are looking for a motivated Research Assistant III to contribute to a multidisciplinary portfolio of research projects involving procedures of health monitoring, injections, blood sampling, survival surgery, post-operative care, and behavioral studies. Reporting to the Staff Veterinarian in coordination with Principal Scientist on the Synthetic Biology Platform at the Wyss Institute, you will be responsible for overseeing study animals, daily rounds, and observations to check animal health status; adherence to protocols and techniques at the animal facility; and performing and documenting experimental observations in rodent species.
What you’ll do:
- Execute rodent models and perform data analysis independently with guidance from senior staff
Provide technical support for the development and implementation of animal models and experimental procedures
- Assist in preparation of protocol applications to IACUC with supervision from senior staff
- Follow standard operating procedures and maintain accurate records and documentation to comply with regulatory requirements
- Assist in managing the laboratory space by maintaining necessary supplies and equipment and interfacing with veterinary staff and research scientists
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Life Science or related area, or equivalent work experience in animal care is required.
- Two or more years of hands-on experience with mouse models, surgical techniques or related experience is a must. Advanced education may count toward years of experience.
- Experience handling rodents and familiarity with IACUC protocol operations is required.
- Must be flexible to working outside normal business hours routinely when needed. Some flexible evening or weekend hours required.
- Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently or with minimum supervision on multiple projects across various therapeutic areas are required.
- Ability to work well independently and to collaborate with a multidisciplinary group is essential.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented, organized, and able to take initiative.
- Good communication skills are important.
- Must be familiar with or willing to learn normal rodent behavior and able to recognize clinical signs of illness.
Physical Requirements :
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds maximum, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing 15-30 pounds, and push and pull heavy equipment.
- Must be able to walk or stand for a full 7-hour shift and be able to perform repetitive motions over extended periods of time.
- Must be able to perform in an environment with exposure to animals, animal dander, animal byproducts, and bedding materials for prolonged periods of time.
Working Conditions :
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Additional Information :
- Offer contingent on successful completion of pre-placement medical evaluation.
- This is a one year term position with the possibility of renewal.
- Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.