Oracle Apex Developer
Posted: January 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob-Specific Responsibilities
Harvard Medical School Information Systems seeks an Oracle Apex Developer skilled in the delivery and ongoing support of Oracle Apex Applications that support Human Capital Management and Human Resources. Reporting to the Product Owner for Human Capital Management with a dotted line relationship to the Director of HRIS and Analytics, the Oracle Apex Developer is responsible for the full Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) from project inception through implementation and ongoing support of the Harvard Medical School custom applications
The ideal candidate will be energized by solving problems in new and innovative ways. Comfortable working in an ever-changing environment and ability to engage with stakeholders to identify minimal viable product for frequent delivery of new technology solutions.
• Develop new applications, support and enhance existing applications using Oracle Application Express, SQL, PL/SQL, workflows, and other development tools
• Responsible for design, developing, testing, and documenting using Oracle Application Express Software to meet user's needs
• Perform system analysis and system development tasks. Analyze functional business requirements and develop solution, create technical specifications & unit test scripts.
• Create ad hoc queries to analyze data and support operational requests. Responsible for data processing, data loading, automation improvements, data integrity, and data presentation
• Partner with Business Systems Analysts, fellow IT Resources, and End users to understand business requirements, minimal viable product requirements, and deliver required features/functions
• Collaborate with HMS IT and HUIT to ensure IT best practices are adhered to and that security and architecture requirements are fulfilled. Familiarity with Oracle Database and Apex security, authentication, and authorization schemes
• Understand existing design/process of applications and data integrations, troubleshoot issues based on requirements. Continuously identify opportunities for application improvements, performance tuning, and resolving root cause issues
• Adhere to data architecture guidance and IT best practices such as Performance tuning (SQL Trace, Explain Plan, Indexing, Hints, Bulk Binds, Bulk Collect), security, auditing, metadata management, and other data solutions of mission-critical software development lifecycle)
• Must have strong problem-solving analytical skills, agile development a plus, excellent troubleshooting, programming, and testing skills.
• In addition, have excellent verbal and written skills specifically in documentation to transform them into detailed system technical design documents with an approach within technical design documentation.
**The below Typical Core Duties are a generalized list provided by Harvard's Job Frameworks, and may not actually reflect the job-specific responsibilities of this position.
Typical Core Duties
Participate fully in software development life cycle
Implement and support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve services
Contribute ideas to coding best practices and new technologies
Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients
Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
5+ years’ experience with Oracle APEX development, Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, web application development
Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve complex issues.
BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience in the Information Technology field.
5+ years' experience working with Oracle APEX, SQL, PL/SQL, (procedures, functions, packages), cursors, triggers, collections, transactional modeling, database normalization, indexing methods, constraints, and object usage,
Experience consuming and authoring RESTful and SOAP web services
Experience with distributed version control systems such as GitHub
Minimum of 5 application implementations
Experience designing, adapting, and implementing technical solutions that are aligned with business strategy in a dynamic work environment.
Ability to work independently while engaging the customer in a customer-focused environment and providing information to the team.
Strong ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external teams.
Demonstrated ability in writing technical requirement documentation
Collaborate with other IT application owners and leaders to communicate, share and implement best practices.
Ability to prioritize and multitask, deadline and detail-oriented.
Strong attention to detail, quality troubleshooting, and solution orientation.
Troubleshooting skills, problem resolution, project management, and technology evaluation to meet business requirements.
Experience working in a higher-ed setting and/or familiarity with Oracle Financials, Peoplesoft HR, Student Information Systems, a plus
Comfortable working in an Agile (Scrum and/or Kanban) methodology in a hybrid remote work environment
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments’ business needs.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.