Core Director for Analytical Chemistry Core
Posted: November 15, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionHarvard Medical School (HMS) is seeking an experienced mass spectrometrist serve as Core Director for the Analytical Chemistry Core facility. The Analytical Chemistry Core provides mass spectrometry instrumentation devoted to small molecule applications outside the purview of proteomics for users at HMS, its affiliated hospital labs, and from a variety of external academic and companies. The successful candidate will oversee the activities of the Core, maintain its instruments, and serve as a valued partner in the discovery process. He/she will also provide training for researchers seeking to learn mass spectrometry, will assist with experimental design and data analysis, and will generally serve as the bridge between the instrumentation and a vibrant scientific community. He/she will work closely with a faculty committee to support research projects in diverse areas, and will have administrative support for financial operation of the Core.
• Serve as the technical interface between users and the instruments by providing advice on experimental design, running of samples, and assisting with data analysis.
• Train users to operate walk-on LC/MS instruments (Agilent single-quad and QTOF instruments).
• Provide training and guidance for users wishing to learn the data analysis and interpretation process.
• Develop a metabolomics workflow and provide sample processing and data analysis services to core users.
• Operate a Thermo UHPLC-Exploris 120 with ESI and APCI sources.
• Maintain mass spectrometers via weekly and monthly calibration, clean instrument optics, maintain LCs, and coordinate with field service engineers when necessary.
• Carry out as-needed software upgrades.
• Organize and maintain data storage.
• Work with faculty to implement methods developed in HMS faculty labs.
• Work with advisory committee members to expand Core instrumentation and increase the user base.
This position will have a high degree of independence, and the successful candidate will also have opportunities to organize and teach nanocourses, present at regional and national scientific symposia and workshops, and develop collaborative relationships with Harvard community investigators.
• Ph.D. in a relevant field such as chemistry, biochemistry, or cell biology.
• Experience operating and calibrating high sensitivity mass spectrometers, and interpreting data. Direct experience working with Exploris and/or Q-Exactive instruments is valuable.
Additional preferred skills:
• Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Self-starter motivated to build a stronger LC/MS facility.
Harvard is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV to Dr. Marie Bao, [email protected] with the following subject line: “Mass Spectrometrist Position”.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.