Coordinator for Residential Education
Santa Cruz, CA
Posted: January 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionCoordinator for Residential Education
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 29429
**THIS POSITION IS FOR 5-6 WEEKS STARTING IN LATE JUNE AND ENDING IN EARLY AUGUST***
For full consideration, applicants are asked to provide a response to the questions below.
• Please share your prior supervisory experience (especially from any residential settings) and why you are interested in working with the COSMOS program.
• What challenges can you foresee in working with a large staff of Resident Assistants managing a large group of high school students?
• What skills will you bring to the table to help with these challenges?
NOTE: When applying, please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment where it says "Attach Resume" and then attach your answers to the following questions as a single attachment where it says "Attach Cover Letter". Do NOT attach documents to your profile.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.htmlfor Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
Employees canhttps://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#requirementonline orhttps://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#exception.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UC Santa Cruz offers a vibrant community that inspires the intellectual and personal development of all students. The Division of Undergraduate Education supports students and creates a living‐learning community where students thrive, belong, and are engaged world citizens. As a member of the Division of Undergraduate Education, the Educational Partnership Center (EPC) provides an array of school-centered and student-centered activities for students, parents, faculty, and community members across the Monterey Bay and Silicon Valley/San Jose regions to support students on the college-going pathway. The EPC coordinates new and longstanding student academic preparation efforts of the University of California, Santa Cruz with the goal of increasing access and opportunity to postsecondary education for students across our service area. The EPC provides support to faculty, staff, and outreach groups to work collaboratively with schools, community colleges, and universities to promote educational pathways to success for all students.
This position works with The California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science (COSMOS) program which is housed within the EPC. COSMOS is a 4-week academic, residential summer program for students interested in STEM subjects and careers. It takes place at 4 different UC campuses across the state of California and is going into its 21st summer. For more information, please visit:https://cosmos.ucsc.edu/
Using knowledge and skills as a seasoned, experienced Student Services professional, the Coordinator for Residential Education (CRE) performs the full range of duties and responsibilities within a Student Life specialization.
Core responsibilities include: managing operations and logistics to present programs to students within the program; working with the administrative and residential life teams to cultivate community and support; assessing situations and determining appropriate action or referral; working independently under general supervision to provide information and interpretation of complex policies, procedures and regulations; identifying and responding to student and staff needs for programs, services, and crisis intervention; handling the inconsistencies of needs as they arise on a daily basis.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 02/28/2022
Salary Information: $62,400 - $67,200/annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 2
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Mid-Level benefits
• Percentage of Time: 100%
• Average Hours Per Week: 40
• Days of the Week: Varies
• Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Employee Classification: Limited appointment
Job End Date: 08/10/2022
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: STDT LIFE DEV SPEC 3 (4564)
20% - Provides ongoing transformational advising and development to student participants and undergraduate student Residential Advisors participating in COSMOS on a wide range of issues. Advises student leaders on complex and sensitive issues. Brings extensive knowledge to a student generated field of interest and supports, guides and mentors students in formulating projects related to those issues. Guides students in interaction with campus leaders and represents students on these issues when appropriate. Coaches student leaders on communication and leadership skills.
20% - Independently provides the full range of support services for a student program(s) from planning and preparation to implementation and / or provides the full range of academic support services for a residential complex including scheduling.
20% - Plans, implements, and participates in a comprehensive training and education program for student staff team, including ongoing staff development and in-service training. Provides guidance and training appropriate for new and returning student staff members. Facilitates individual and group meetings with student residential staff. Attends all residential team meetings, training, sponsored social programs, and retreats.
15% - Trains and supervises student residential staff. Monitors standards of employment and provides ongoing evaluative feedback. Assists student staff in their personal and professional development and achievement of their learning goals. Sets and models a standard of ethical behavior for the student staff team.
15% - Participates in the adjudication process for student conduct cases of moderate complexity. Interviews witnesses and writes up findings regarding alleged conduct violations. Provides guidance to lower level staff. Consults with higher level professionals as needed. Makes recommendations for sanctions.
10% - Resides within the dorm on all scheduled working days, responds to critical needs at any time of day if necessary including medical needs within the scope of the certification you hold (may include accompanying students and/or staff to medical facilities if more advanced care is needed).
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience & training
• Knowledge of advising, counseling and/or coaching techniques.
• Experience with advising, counseling and/or coaching high school aged students.
• Knowledge of Student Affairs / Student Life specialization.
• Experience with program development, implementation and operations.
• Experience managing a team of more than 5 individuals.
• Skills in identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
• Experience working with a residential program.
• Abilities in project management, problem identification and reasoning skills.
• Ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
• Master's degree.
• Experience developing and/or presenting a training program.
• Knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs and knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
Special Conditions of Employment
• Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
• Will be required to provide proof of negative TB test results within 60 days of hire.
• Must possess CPR & First Aid certifications or have the ability to obtain prior to start date.
• Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California.
• Must be able to move materials, weighing up to 30 pounds, with or without accommodation.
• Must reside overnight in campus dorm during scheduled work days and respond to emergencies if necessary.
• Must have the ability to work evening, weekends, and travel within service area if necessary.
• Working hours will vary from day to day or week to week, including evenings/weekends. Work schedules are managed and approved by the Assistant Director.
• Must have the ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
• Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
• The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.