Westminster College of the Arts (WCA) of Rider University (Lawrenceville, NJ) invites applications for Associate Dean of the College. Reporting to the WCA Dean, under minimal supervision, this position provides high level and confidential academic and administrative leadership. This is a full-time, 12-month, non-bargaining position. The position is open until filled, and the successful candidate will start at the earliest possible time.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate and provide evidence of academic, artistic, and administrative abilities appropriate to this position. Success in the position will require significant experience in assessment, curriculum, the student academic environment, accreditation, and administration of policies.
• Faculty, students, staff, and other University offices refer to and work with the Associate Dean in furnishing and/or receiving data
• Accurate information coming out of this office supports the efficiency and effectiveness of the day-to-day operation of the college
• The Associate Dean works closely with the Dean in implementing the institutional initiatives of the academic and artistic life of the College by means of interaction with faculty and through the academic governance procedures mandated by the AAUP Agreement
• In collaboration with the Dean, this position will implement a vision and mission for the WCA units that addresses their roles at Rider University
• The Associate Dean must handle student and faculty issues effectively, efficiently, and compassionately, toward a goal of enhanced enrollment and retention
Specific duties include the ability to:
• Efficiently and effectively supervise the day-to-day academic operation of the WCA
• Supervise professional and clerical staff
• Administer accreditation requirements, develop campus and programmatic initiatives
• Coordinate WCA participation in Admissions/Recruiting, Open House, Admitted Student Days, Orientation, semester course scheduling, and other such activities
• Provide accurate, timely, and useful information to all constituents
• In consultation with the Dean, lead/participate in appropriate School, College and University committees
• Oversee student advising, assessment, and academic progress
• Oversee WCA Articulation Agreements with other institutions
• Terminal degree required in a field of study offered by the Westminster College of the Arts; experience as a faculty member in a discipline offered by the WCA
• Successful experience in higher education administrative positions/responsibilities, preferably in an artistic environment
• Evidence of successful leadership of an appropriate project from conception to implementation
• Successful experience leading a multi-disciplinary organization
• Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills; ability to establish and maintain collaborative and transparent relationships with the campus and external communities
• Strong personal integrity and work ethic
• Data driven decision making supported by attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
• Expertise in computer programming, database and spreadsheet applications
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and exhibit a high level of personal integrity
Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience
• Experience working with unions
• Creative problem-solving; ability to lead groups to consensus
About Rider University
The Rider University community is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
Rider University is committed to fostering an inclusive, vibrant living and learning community that embraces students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds and enables them to achieve success.
Through reflection and open, respectful dialogue, we develop responsible citizens who demonstrate academic understanding and compassion to grow and serve as leaders in a diverse and global world.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment supportive of the multicultural needs of Rider University and the surrounding community are highly desired.
Rider University has been included as one of the nation’s best universities by US News & World Report and remained in the top tier in the Regional Universities – North category. Additionally, The Princeton Review named Rider among its “Best 386 Colleges” in the nation. Both publications have ranked the University favorably in their respective surveys for more than a decade.
Rider University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through diversity.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach a letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae, a statement outlining experience with academic and artistic disciplines, a detailed statement describing your commitment to supporting and working with a diverse and inclusive community, and names and contact information for three recent professional references. All materials should be uploaded on the RiderHires site.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit all application materials by September 10, 2021.
The completion of a background check is required for all new hires.