Mission Viejo, CA
ID: 7055382 (Ref.No. P0014917, P0014918)
Posted: January 17, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
10-Irvine Valley College
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Master’s degree or higher in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND a Master’s degree in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bi-cultural studies, reading, speech, or any foreign language from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above .
• A minimum of two (2) years (full or part-time) of recent and successful teaching experience in ESL at the college level.
• Knowledge of and experience in working with technology in the ESL classroom and/or ESL/language laboratory.
• Knowledge of current ESL teaching methodologies and language acquisition theories.
• Possession of native or native-like speaker fluency in spoken and written English.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Community College teaching experience in ESL at a variety of levels, from basic skills through college preparation classes, including noncredit ESL (AESL) and/or credit academic ESL.
• Experience writing ESL curriculum, particularly noncredit ESL courses, including VESL.
• Familiarity with ESL department coordination and program development.
• Knowledge of and experience in developing and maintaining Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs).
• Experience in developing and/or using technology-based ESL curriculum/materials, including LMS (Canvas), that can be used in a class environment and/or by students independently, such as in a lab or an online setting.
• Professional involvement in the field of TESOL/ESL.
• Knowledge of and fluency in a language other than English.
Full Time, Tenure Track
- Resume / CV
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 4
- Transcript 5
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Other Doc
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation 1
- License or Certificate